This questionnaire will help you and your designer focus on your needs and desires, and the special character of your site. These questions are not meant to be comprehensive, but to stimulate your own thinking about how you might derive the greatest satisfaction and enjoyment from your outdoor living spaces.
The Functional Environment
Please check activities and family members that the exterior design should accommodate.
|Children? How many? What ages?||Playing/listening to music|
|Other family members?||Sports|
|Pets? What kind? How many?||Games|
|Outdoor dining? How many people? How often?||Hobbies|
|Indoor/outdoor entertaining? How many? How often?||Gardening|
|Reading||Other (Please describe)|
DESIGN MOOD. Please check all that apply.
|Nourishing||Other (please describe)|
Your Environment’s Vital Statistics
- Do you consider your home to be a permanent residence or an interim home?
- What is the age and style of your home?
- Does your landscape face North, South, East, or West?
- Does the garden get sunlight between 9 a.m. and noon? Noon to 3 p.m.? After 3 p.m.?
- Do you have plot plans or surveys?
- Describe your property’s topography.
- Are there existing underground utilities, irrigation or drainage systems?
- Have you experienced any drainage problems?
- How would you describe the character of your site?
- Are there existing features you would like to remove?
- Are there features that you wish to renovate and keep?
- Are you or your neighbors planning any major construction?
Hardscape – The Structured Environment
DESIGN THEMES. What are your preferences? Please check one or more.
|Asian (symbolism, simplicity, more green than flower colors, use of stone)|
|California (native plants, 12-month interest, Mediterranean feeling)|
|Contemporary (dramatic foliage, strong color contrasts, mass plantings)|
|Country (colorful mixed borders, perennials, winding paths, eclectic)|
|Formal (symmetry, clipped hedges, topiary, classical architecture)|
|Tropical (hot strong colors, bold foliage, jungle-like abundance)|
|Other (please describe)|
DESIGN FORMS. Please check the shapes and styles you prefer.
BUILDING MATERIALS. Please check all that appeal to you.
|Marble, limestone||Wrought Iron|
UTILITY STRUCTURES/AREAS. Please check features you would like to include.
|Pet run||Garbage/Recycling storage|
|Maintenance Shed||Bike/Toy storage|
|Compost area||Other (describe)|
LANDSCAPE STRUCTURES. Please check features you would like to include.
|Sauna||Child’s play area|
|Water feature||Sports court|
Softscape – The Planted Environment
The plants selected for your outdoor living areas can provide many things. Take a moment to consider the goals below. Please check each goal you would like to achieve through your plantings:
|Grow edibles||Reduce undesirable noise|
|Create a sanctuary space||Provide cut flowers|
|Attract wildlife||Provide for exercise|
|Reduce wind||Create privacy|
|Add fragrance||Low maintenance|
|Add texture||Low water use|
|Add soft sounds||Other (please describe)|
- Are there plants you are particularly fond of?
- Are there plants that you dislike or are allergic to?
- What colors would you like to have around you in your garden?
- Do you wish to have a lawn? For what purpose(s)? How large?
- Circle your favorite season:
- Spring Early Summer Late Summer Fall Winter
- When will you be using your garden?
- Early morning mid-morning noon
- Mid-afternoon early evening evening or nighttime
- Week days weekends
Installation, Care and Maintenance
- How much time will family members spend on maintenance each week, if any?
- Do you or will you employ a gardening service?
- Do you want an immediate landscape or will you install it in phases?
- Will you hire a professional to install the landscape or will you do it yourself?
- Please circle the budget figure that is closest to what you would like to invest in your landscape design and installation:
$10,000 to $25,000
$50,000 to $75,000
$100,000 to $150,000
|$5,000 to $10,000
$25,000 to $50,000
$75,000 to $100,000
$150,000 to $200,000
Other (please explain)